Catan has become a staple in many board game collections. Simple to teach and endless replay-ability has made Catan one of the world's best-sold board games. But, what do you do when you want to add more to the mix with Catan? Where do you start adding to the experience? We've compiled a suggested list of expansions and the order to add them to your collection.
- Seafarers: a simple expansion that adds a cool concept to Catan - islands and boats. Recommended first expansion.
- Cities & Knights: a bit more complex. Adds new resources and development cards, and using Knights to defend your cities from robbers becomes more important.
- Traders & Barbarians: A compilation of smaller expansions. Includes 5 scenarios and 4 variants for a very high amount of variety in Catan matches.
- Explorers & Pirates: A big, drastic expansion that doesn’t mix with other expansions. Converts Catan into a medium-scale empire-building game. Recommended for seasoned players only.
- 5-6 Player Extensions: the base Catan and each of the expansions have a 5-6 Player Extension. If you want to play any expansion with 5 or 6 players, you’ll need an Extension for each expansion, including the base. There’s just not enough pieces otherwise, but man, trading becomes a lot more fun when there’s more players.